Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Working after Hours

I worked as a pizza maker at an Italian restaurant and bar. I was a very hard worker and did my best to finish the tasks I was given. The restaurant would get fairly busy, especially on Friday nights. I would work with a fellow co-worker and are duties include making the pizza/pasta dinners and also clean the dishes. As one of the most experienced workers at the restaurant I would sometimes get paired with the not so experienced and frankly lazy worker. I'm not going to say any names, so I’ll just call him Scott Ross. Scott would increase my work load by 3 times. He worked very slow and inefficiently. He just didn't care at all how poorly he does his job as long as it would get done. The dishes would sometimes come out of the washer with food residue and it felt like I would be making the dinners alone. When I was paired with Scott on Friday's it was exhausting. My boss would always mention that we need to prepare the food faster. Also, I would either have to stay later with him to make sure everything is done right and when we did this my boss always questioned why we be there so late. I didn’t want to leave the place in a mess from Scott’s poor performance because the boss would be even more upset about that. To make a long story short once I left for college the boss caught on to Scotts poor performance and horrible work ethic and fired him. Therefore my ethics were being blamed for not working fast enough and taking too much time cleaning up/ milking the clock. I continued to work my best and didn’t throw Scott under the bus even though I easily could have. In the end the boss still knows I’m a good employee and still work there over my breaks from school.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that he finally got caught and in the end your boss knows that it wasn't because of you. I think if I was in your position I would've had to at least mention it to the boss. I wouldn't have tried to get him fired, just let the boss know he's the source of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to your situation. I have worked at the same restaraunt at home for four years now, so my managers know that I am a good worker. I had the same experience with many of my coworkers; they were not willing to go above and beyond their responsibilities in order to get the job done right. Therefore, I was always there picking up the slack, but never getting any recognition.

    I think it was awesome that your boss finally saw how you were the person working hard and not "Scott"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's these kind of stories that bring a warm feeling to my heart. People who screw up will almost always be caught because of their own mistakes. Thanks for the great read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott got what he deserved and I like how you didn't rat him out, good for you Kenneth

    ReplyDelete